Nobody likes losing, but once you're done shouting at the media and commiserating with the players, there's only one place you can fix it: the training ground. For Football Manager 2019, we introduced the biggest training overhaul in the series' history.
The new training system was brimming with ways to return your team to winning ways. There were tons of options, sessions and programmes to help managers, each based on meticulous research undertaken with real-world clubs and coaches. You really could train your team the way professional footballers are trained.
You need to know your objective if you want to train efficiently, so we paired this overhaul with a revamp of the tactics module, with numerous new preset styles to draw upon (or develop yourself), as well as team instructions for attacking, defensive and transition phases.
Thanks to a new licensing deal, you could also work with 36 fully licensed clubs across the DFL Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2, with German translation available in-game too (among 19 language options). Having embraced technology early, German leagues were also host to new goal-line and VAR technologies - as were all competitions where these breakthroughs had been adopted in the real world.
It was also time for a visual refresh. FM19 featured a new logo and, after years of service, retirement for 'Manager Man' on the cover, replaced by a manager's eye view of the pitch.
What We Said
London, England – 6 August 2018: With fans eagerly anticipating the upcoming season, Sports Interactive and SEGA are delighted to announce that would-be managers will get the chance to ensure their team finishes top of the league when Football Manager 2019 hits the streets on Friday, November 2nd with a new look brand.
Football Manager 2019 will be saying goodbye to the iconic ‘Manager Man’ who has featured on the cover of every Football Manager game since FM 2005, to be replaced by a manager’s eye view of the pitch as the gaffer and players head down the tunnel ahead of a big match. With redesigned logos, loads of new and improved features, and the implementation of the DFL Bundesliga license for the first time, Football Manager 2019 is set to be even more comprehensive in its realism than ever before.
What They Said
"Sports Interactive may have just done the impossible and created the ultimate Football Manager game, one you can dip into for the next half-decade without needing to buy any future editions, save for downloading updated squads. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now, I’ve got another match to play."
"Sports Interactive has exposed more of the game’s workings to players than ever. It feels both fresh and familiar at the same time, while being the best Football Manager has ever played on day one."
"Return to the digital dugout for the most comprehensive footie management simulation around."
• Brand New Look - New logo, new cover artwork, and a slick interface through all the game's new features
• DFL Bundesliga Licence - Take the reins at 36 fully licensed clubs from across Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2, with full German translation available
• Massive Training Overhaul - The biggest revamp in the series' history offered new options, sessions and programmes to help managers get ahead
• Tactics Module Revamp - New preset styles, unique tactics and philosophies, plus loads more team instruction options
• Manager Induction System - Whether you were new to the game or just wanted an introduction to new features, the induction system guided you to what mattered
Football Manager Mobile 2019 reflected the growing maturity of leagues around the globe, with the addition of the Russian League and Chinese Super League to bring the list of countries where you could manage up to a biggest-ever 19. As well as tons of strong domestic players, both leagues are home to plenty of familiar faces who you may remember from other global leagues - can you help them discover regional glory at their new clubs?
Elsewhere, FM19 Mobile included updated training and transfer modules, giving you new ways to improve your team. On the training ground you could help nurture players' talents in specific roles, while real-time transfer negotiations allowed you to go back and forth with negotiating partners to settle on the best deal for both sides, truer to life than ever. An improved player search feature helped you find the right players to target.
With technology rife within the game by now, FM19 Mobile also saw the introduction of goal-line tech and the video assistant referee (VAR) in leagues where they had been introduced, adding an extra frisson of authenticity to the world's most realistic mobile football management game.
• New Leagues To Conquer - Test your mettle in Russia and China as the two new nations complete a roster of 19 countries where you could manage
• Training & Transfer Revamps - Negotiate in real time for players and then coach them into the roles you need them to fill
• VAR - Finally, you can make that little TV shape with your hands. Just make sure you put down your phone first
Football Manager Touch 2019 returned to the dugout alongside its bigger sibling, bolstered by new features and of course up-to-date transfer data to make sure this edition of the streamlined Football Manager experience was the definitive one to play.
As usual, FM19 Touch focused on the core aspects of management - transfers, tactics and the matchday experience - while FM19 allowed more demanding players to dig deeper into every aspect of management life.
For FM19 Touch, we added more off-the-shelf tactical presets, including Gegenpress, Tiki-Taka and Catenaccio, and revamped training with a fresh and simplified interface, representative of how clubs develop younger players and prepare the first team for individual fixtures and the season ahead. There were also new manager inductions, designed to guide and elevate new dugout-dwellers towards success.
Most exciting for fans of the continental game was the addition of the DFL Bundesliga licence, meaning that 36 fully licensed teams from Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 were added into the mix for the first time in the series' history.
• Tactical Wizardry - Choose from presets including Gegenpress, Tiki-Taka and Catenaccio to outwit your opponents
• Revamped Training - Fresh and simplified, reflecting how the big clubs mentor their younger players and keep the first XI primed for battle
• Bundesliga Joins The Party - DFL Bundesliga licensing adds 36 new teams across two divisions to the ranks of manageable clubs
• Refreshed UI - A lick of paint and a ton of quality-of-life improvements make for the most dashing, user-friendly FM Touch in the series' history