Unity Gameplay Engineer
Sports Interactive are seeking an experienced and motivated mid-range Unity Gameplay Engineer to play an important role in shaping an exciting mobile project.
Working in a small and energetic games as a service team, you will have an opportunity to contribute to both frontend and backend work, integrating new gameplay features and quality of life changes to the project, as well as creating and reviewing technical designs.
As an experienced engineer, you will be comfortable owning significant features, providing estimations on the feature roadmap in order to execute the product vision and overarching strategy.
You will preferably have online and mobile gaming development experience, along with strong interpersonal skills and a love for video games. Your keen eye for detail and passion for improving existing features will be instrumental in taking our project to the next level.
- Work closely with fellow Engineers, UI/UX Designers and Game Designers to create, scope and develop new gameplay features.
- Collaborate with other disciplines, including QA, Production, and other engineering teams, on both development and future planning.
- Game performance assessment, support, and optimisation.
- Design and develop server-client solutions, addressing reliability and security.
- Implement industry best practices from an engineering standpoint, offering meaningful contributions to code reviews.
- 3+ years of professional experience with C# or C++.
- Strong knowledge of C# or modern C++ languages.
- Good knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Excellent communication skills for effective collaboration with software engineers, artists, designers, QA and production.
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself and others continuously.
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, portable, and well-documented code.
- Professional experience developing with Unity.
- Professional experience developing for iOS and Android.
- A keen eye for UX design.
- Player-first mindset.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences.
And when you’re not here making the world’s best management games, there’s a top-class benefits package for permanent team members based in the UK, including gym membership, private health, and dental care, plus many more perks. For those permanent team members outside of the UK, we strive to offer equivalent and localised benefits. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.