Software Engineer (Rulegroups)
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
Further information on the company and its games is available at www.sigames.com.
The Competition & Rule Group team at our studio are looking for a talented software engineer to join the Football Manager team. The Competition & Rule Group team are responsible for ensuring the competitions in Football Manager accurately reflect how they operate in real life to help ensure Football Manager is the most accurate football management game in the world.
As part of this team, you will be working on all aspects of competitions within FM and collaborating very closely with fellow rule group engineers and our specialised rule group quality assurance team. The role will also involve collaboration with our research and gameplay teams to ensure we have quality features and accurate competitions within FM.
We are looking for self-motivated people with good communication skills who can complete work independently as well as part of a team.
- Work within an experienced and talented Competition & Rule Group team
- Implement real world competition and rule related changes into Football Manager, including the implementation of women’s football
- Analyse, debug and fix issues
- Work across multiple platforms and projects to ensure we deliver the best experience to our customer base
- Collaborate with other disciplines, including QA, producers, and other engineering teams, on both development and future planning
- Work closely with seniors/leads and production to drive new features
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- BSc or equivalent degree and/or equivalent industry experience in a relevant field
- Demonstratable professional experience using C++ as the main language
- Strong programming skills in C++, with knowledge of the latest standards and best practices
- Good debugging and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills for effective collaboration with software engineers, artists, animators, QA, and production staff
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself and others continuously
- Passion for and knowledge of world football
- Knowledge of Sports Interactive products and tools (FM Editor)
- Passion for and knowledge of women’s football
- Examples of work or personal projects
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI is proudly a Disability Confident Committed employer, and we are dedicated to ensuring our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. Our studio has disabled access and facilities but please ensure you advise us if you require any other reasonable adjustments to be made to support you during the recruitment process.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.Apply