Software Engineer (C++, all-rounder)
We are looking for talented C++ software engineers with a strong all-round grounding to work principally on the Football Manager Mobile project. These positions offer the opportunity to be an integral part of a small, close-knit team, and to take ownership of complex and interesting areas of the codebase as we look to push this fast-growing game on to the next level. Working closely with the Creative Director, Producer and Artists, the Mobile project allows you to express your game design talents as well as to engage your coding skills across the breadth of the product. You might one month be designing and implementing a brand new gameplay module (or overhauling an existing one), the next month brushing up an area of the UI or working on some match improvements - there won't be a shortage of variety.
These positions will suit someone motivated and detail-oriented, who will be happy to use their communication skills to push the rest of the team on to improve as well as to continue developing their own knowledge. While this is a mobile project, we develop in C++ and value the skill and passion you can show us above mobile gaming experience.
We are looking for at the minimum one senior and one mid-level engineer, but a junior showing the right aptitude may also be considered.
- Design and develop new gameplay functionality, principally for mobile
- Improve and maintain existing gameplay modules
- Contribute to the development of new user interface functionality
- Work with other teams at SI to help integrate shared code where necessary
- Analyse, debug and fix issues
- Work closely with artists, developers and producers to help push our games to be better
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Significant professional experience using C++ as the main language
- Strong programming skills in C++, with knowledge of the latest standards and best practices
- Knowledge of football
- Ability to write clean, maintainable and portable code
- Good debugging and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work closely with team members across all disciplines
- Comfortable using PC, Mac and Linux platforms
- An interest in and some knowledge of game design
- Experience of mobile gaming and cross-platform development
Sports Interactive (SI) is the world’s leading developer of football management simulations through its Football Manager series of games. Founded in 1994 and now based in East London's booming technology hub at Here East in Stratford, SI, as a continually successful and profitable company, is now looking to expand its full-time staff as it pushes out across both existing and emerging gaming platforms.
SI’s games have enjoyed an unparalleled history of commercial and critical success, with 12 of its creations among the UK's Top 20 fastest-selling PC games of all time and five in the UK’s top 20 best-selling PC games of all time. Sports Interactive became a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006.The studio is a vibrant environment, full of talented and dedicated people with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy working within a close-knit team as part of a lively, self-motivated and forward thinking company.
Sports Interactive looks after its staff’s well-being with a flexible working schedule that makes the studio a relaxed and friendly place to work (there are six staff lunchtime football teams and a wide range of regular social events). We’re also very proud of being parent-friendly and having high staff tenure (40% have worked here for over 10 years). Further information on Sports Interactive and its games is available on the SI website, www.sigames.com.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.Apply