POSITION OVERVIEWThis new role of Developer Advocate is to establish an internal software engineering “Academy” for teaching/coaching mainly C++ programming in-studio and support hiring pathways for future talent.
Initially, the role will take on the day-to-day planning and delivery for the development of software engineers and play an instrumental part in their accelerated learning and pathway to the next level. With our Junior Software Engineers, this role will be about giving them consistent best practice learning and make them future flag bearers of coding quality and standards. In time the role will expand to encompass leadership alignment and external programmes with educational partners and community groups.
The successful applicant will be proficient in games development, especially C++, and enthusiastic to work with young emerging talent. With an academic teaching background or senior developer with strong communication and leadership qualities, the Developer Advocate will envisage bigger opportunities for the role and to make them happen.
- Working closely with the Technical Director and Technical Steering Group, you will establish and evolve an SI Academy curriculum of tutorials, “watch lists”, projects and tests.
- Align & input on Studio coding processes and tools, standards, review policies, etc.
- Review and sign off on all potential junior software engineer hires and onboard them into the studio.
- Working closely with individual teams on features & projects, code reviewing, pair programming.
- Liaising with line manager, feeding back on academy progress, and escalating where there are issues.
- Supporting our intern and apprenticeship students with appropriate level activities.
- Providing support for non-technical team members interested in switching to programming.
- Support work experience/showing students through the junior software engineers.
- Sharing insights on future trends/possibilities via internal talks
- Building relationships with universities, schools and colleges, attending events, giving talks, hosting studio events, etc. Using team members to support and build experience.
- 8 years+ software programming especially C++, ideally in a game-making or AI rich environments
- Evidence of teaching/coaching success at university level is a bonus
The role is envisaged as full-time – however, depending on the candidate it could be flexible or seasonal. For example, might suit a PhD student or someone with some commitments to other associated areas.
Sports Interactive (SI) is a multi-award-winning game development studio and the world’s leading developer of sports management simulations. Founded in 1994, SI became a wholly-owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006. Based at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London, the SI team continues to expand as it brings its titles to an ever-growing audience via an increasing variety of delivery platforms.
SI has enjoyed sustained commercial and critical success for its extremely detailed and immersive simulation experiences. Its games are amongst the highest-rated PC titles (according to Metacritic) and frequently occupy both the ‘top selling’ and ‘most played’ charts on Steam.
The Sports Interactive team is diverse and international, bringing together world-class and high potential talent with a combined passion and drive for creating genre-defining games. Team members enjoy a flexible working schedule and a relaxed studio environment that encourages a close-knit, collaborative approach to game development.
SI is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI offers a generous benefits package to all full-time team members including gym membership, in-house massage therapy and private healthcare (including dental). The studio is also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boasts one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry with just over 30% of the current full-time team members having been at the studio for 10 years or longer. SI also has many longstanding partnerships with leading charities, local schools and major sporting organisations.
Further information on Sports Interactive, its games and life at the studio can be found at www.sigames.com.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.Apply