The approved fansite scheme has been set up by Sports Interactive to give the superfans within the Football Manager community who create and manage Football Manager related fansites the facility to both communicate with each other and directly with us here at Sports Interactive. It gives those who are creating fansites a direct contact with the makers of the game so they can make sure they are fully up to date with the latest news and announcements as well as someone to advise and help where needed.
On top of the fansite having to be a Football Manager, or other Sports Interactive title, dedicated fansite there are only two core principles to which members have to satisfy in order to become an Approved Fansite.
1) All content must be freely available to the community. Monetising schemes such as paid membership, advertising etc are allowed (if the fansite owner thinks they will work of course), but it's a core ethos for the scheme that all content must be available for anyone playing a Football Manager title to download, or access, without any payment necessary.
2) Approved Fansites must not 'steal' content from other sites. All content on an Approved Fansite must either be their own, or posted with the permission of the original author/ creator.
The first and foremost benefit of being an Approved Fansite is having a dedicated contact within Sports Interactive. Sports Interactive will then do what they can to help promote, advise and assist the fansite in any way that they can. More specific benefits include, but are not limited to, the following:
1) An annual assignment of free official merchandise and games (where available) to be used as competition prizes.
2) Direct promotion of new content on the official Sports Interactive social networks and websites.
3) An invite to an annual event to discuss Football Manager and meet some of the Sports Interactive staff.
4) Access to official assets, such as graphics and screenshots, that can be used, with permission, on the site.
5) Access to exclusive interviews with members of the Sports Interactive team.
6) 'Star Fansites' (i.e. those who are the most established and produce the best content), also get access to Preview Code and/or Beta Testing.
Right here on this website. Just click here.
Admission to the Approved Fansite scheme is decided once a year, usually in late summer. To be accepted into the Approved Fansite scheme your site must both satisfy the requirements above and have been in existence and producing quality content for a reasonable amount of the preceding year. You can register your interest in being considered for the Approved Fansite scheme at any point in the year by contacting Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org.